My Route, More or Less (Red line, but starting in NY)

My Route, More or Less (Red line, but starting in NY)
NY NJ PA MD VA KY IL MO KS CO UT NV CA

Make a Difference

I'm pedaling for many reasons, the most important of which is to raise awareness and funds for Pedals For Progress. P4P is a non-profit that collects used bicycles and sewing machines in the US and donates them to poor people overseas. P4P combines my love of bicycling with my growing concern for those deprived of life's most basic necessities - sparked by a visit to the slums of Kibera in June '09 (pictures). P4P improves mobility and economic options for destitute people, opening pathways to greater dignity and opportunity.

Please make a donation, if you can (please write "TSQ2USQ" in the '...honor of' field). Remember, a bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives roses. :)

My Game Plan

I'm following portions or all of three routes mapped out by the Adventure Cycling Association: the Atlantic, TransAm, & Western Express. I'll cycle through thirteen states: NY, NJ, PA, MD, VA, KY, IL, MO, KS, CO, UT, NV & CA! I'm leaving on 4/17/10, and expect to return to New Jersey by mid June - back to my family, friends, & neighbors. I plan on cycling 5 - 6 hours per day, 6 days/week, usually starting in the early AM. My laptop and phone will allow me to work remotely most days, but I won't pass up opportunities to smell the roses along the way!


Thursday, April 1, 2010

Mechanical

First blog post! It's looking like I can post via a web browser, email or text message. Hopefully future posts are more interesting than this one... ;) Just over two weeks until the start of my journey! Monday I only rode 8 miles on account of a biblical storm. My chain was skipping, but I didn't realize until Tuesday AM a link had all but completely failed. With no replacement chain and 'quick links' that only fit my mountain bike, I didn't ride Tuesday at all. Bought a new chain at Flo on Wheels, but they were out of quick links. Wed AM I changed the chain and gave my bike's cassettes a long overdue cleaning. The newly installed chain was not working properly, and with the help of Jim V, who was kind enough to come by my house at 8 AM, and Sean C via phone, I learned it should have been shortened before installation. Shortening it after install risks a weakened link, it seemed to me. I'll pick up some quick links today and ride tomorrow for sure!

No comments: