My Route, More or Less (Red line, but starting in NY)

My Route, More or Less (Red line, but starting in NY)
NY NJ PA MD VA KY IL MO KS CO UT NV CA

Make a Difference

I'm pedaling for many reasons, the most important of which is to raise awareness and funds for Pedals For Progress. P4P is a non-profit that collects used bicycles and sewing machines in the US and donates them to poor people overseas. P4P combines my love of bicycling with my growing concern for those deprived of life's most basic necessities - sparked by a visit to the slums of Kibera in June '09 (pictures). P4P improves mobility and economic options for destitute people, opening pathways to greater dignity and opportunity.

Please make a donation, if you can (please write "TSQ2USQ" in the '...honor of' field). Remember, a bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives roses. :)

My Game Plan

I'm following portions or all of three routes mapped out by the Adventure Cycling Association: the Atlantic, TransAm, & Western Express. I'll cycle through thirteen states: NY, NJ, PA, MD, VA, KY, IL, MO, KS, CO, UT, NV & CA! I'm leaving on 4/17/10, and expect to return to New Jersey by mid June - back to my family, friends, & neighbors. I plan on cycling 5 - 6 hours per day, 6 days/week, usually starting in the early AM. My laptop and phone will allow me to work remotely most days, but I won't pass up opportunities to smell the roses along the way!


Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 24

Today's Route: GPS Details. Marshfield, MO --> Pittsburg, KS. ~110 miles. 108 degree heat index.


It's Sunday, 9:12 AM, as I sit comfortably in the Pittsburg, KS, Starbucks writing this blog. I need some down time after yesterday's grueling ride, though this will be a short post as I s/ seriously be on the road pedaling. I couldn't resist uploading another gross up close of my skin, this time covered in bumps brought on by heat & my struggle to get to Tailwind's Bike Shop before they closed @ 4:00...reopening Tues AM. Well, I made it to KS, and the bike shop. John & Roger did a *great* job fixing my ride. It shifts better then ever, thanks I think to Roger tweaking my derailleur hanger so it was perfectly parallel w/ my rim. I recovered quickly from my overheating issue, and I met two cool riders from Oxford, England, Ed & Bethen. They were kind enough to hang at the El Charo Mexican restaurant and have a drink w/ me. We had a fun time trading ride notes before heading back to the motel and crashing.


Please donate to Pedals for Progress: https://payments.auctionpay.com/ver3/?id=w043522

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you almost there? To Colorado Springs, that is. How much longer? Miles, days...It will be good to see you again here in beautiful Hoboken. Really good place - Ultramarino - on third just next door to Zafra. My treat when you return.
Love, MOM

Steve Fahmie said...

I'm about 500 miles away from Pueblo. I'll be home early next week. The food is killing me, literally. Seemingly everything is fried or sugared up, or mystery meat. Overdramatizing the issue is impossible; the "food" I'm able to find is absolutely disgusting / low dosage poison. The only vegetarian food available at restaurants is (bad) pizza. Does Ultramarino have foods that are not fried, not made of sugar/corn sweetener, and not meat? If so, I'll be in heaven.

Anonymous said...

Ultramarino is a spin-off of Zafra and Cucharamama. They have take-out, sandwiches, rice and beans, and QUIONA!
I'm planning to do a Whole Foods run this weekend and between JD and me, we will cook up a storm for your return.
Keep me posted, we can pick you up at the airport.
Love, MOM